Detoxication (detox for short) refers to the physiological removal of toxins from the body, and is a natural process that our organs are constantly carrying out. However in our modern world, our bodies are exposed to various toxins on a daily basis; through the food and drink we consume, the products we use on our bodies, and the environmental toxins found in the air we that we breathe (both outside AND inside our homes).
Did you know that our carpets and furniture are pretty much all treated with chemicals that slowly release their toxic odours into the air? Which is why it’s super important to have your windows open as much as you can, and to invest in some lung-saving indoor plants!
HOW DOES THE BODY DETOX?
The liver is the cleansing house of the body, with one of its main roles being the removal of toxins. But sooner or later its ability to detox efficiently may lessen due to continual loading / an increase in the number of toxins to be processed. Imagine the liver as a little factory, trying to sort out and process toxins for elimination…
chemicals sprayed on our food, heavy metals & chlorine found in our water, chemicals in the products that we apply to our bodies, pharmaceutical drugs, alcohol, rancid fats and preservatives found in processed food…phew! No wonder our livers can’t keep up.
When there are too many toxins to be processed for elimination, the liver stores them in our body fat to be dealt with at a later date (hello cellulite!). Excessive toxins stored in the body can present an endless number of problems and health concerns, such as migraines, inflammation, and acne.
BUT, by minimising your exposure to toxins, eating and drinking nourishing food and filtered water, and supplementing with detox-supporting supplements you give your liver the help it needs to do its job properly. Once processed, toxins are released into the lymphatic system, kidneys and bloodstream for elimination.
Remember, your body is constantly detoxing to keep you healthy and therefore you can help it to do so by providing it with the best possible nutrients. Keep reading to see our tips for supporting detoxification, and why this should be a priority in your health care.
WHY YOU SHOULD REGULARLY ‘DETOX’
There are many reasons why you should detox your body regularly, but the main ones are:
- Helps to re-balance the body and repair damage
- Expels built-up environmental toxins
- Reduces symptoms of headaches, aches, inflammation, acne and increased body fat
- Reduces your dependency on stimulants like sugar, caffeine and refined carbohydrates
After a detox, your body will naturally absorb vitamins better. This is because chemical toxins can block the body’s ability to absorb nutrients. Vitamins are the micronutrients that our body uses to perform certain functions, one of which is the conversion of food into energy. This is why, after supporting your body through a detox you end up with MORE ENERGY!
HOW WILL I FEEL DURING A DETOX?
People choose to detox for different reasons – weight loss, skin issues, increase energy…whatever the reason, it’s important to remember that EVERYONE’S BODY IS UNIQUE. This means that each of us will experience different feelings and emotions when detoxing, and may display different symptoms.
You may notice a temporary worsening of any current symptoms you have, commonly known as a ‘detox reaction’. This is normal and can occur due to the release and elimination of toxins accumulated within your cells.
The toxins being expelled from your body during this process may have been trapped in the cells for years! As a general rule, the more toxic the body is (or the longer you’ve been making poor lifestyle choices), the more intense the process. If you experience this reaction, it usually only lasts between 2-5 days before you feel better*.
*Always listen to your body and if something doesn’t feel right, consult your doctor.
HOW TO ASSIST YOUR BODY’S DETOX
It is always advisable to consult with your doctor or natural healthcare practitioner BEFORE commencing a detox, especially if you have existing health concerns or are on any medication.
Although “detox diets” may be thought of as controversial, specific foods and herbs have detoxification properties and there is evidence that supports regularly boosting the bodies detoxification processes with fresh fruits, vegetables, certain herbs, and filtered water.
“Fad diets are NOT a way to detox your body…”
…instead, focus on the below tips to help your body to detox:
- Increase your fluid intake, focusing on filtered water, herbal teas, fresh juices and healing broths
- Get enough sleep and allow your body to rest
- Reduce intensive exercise, instead focus on walking, yoga and other gentle forms of movement that get your blood flowing without putting additional stress on your body
- Ensure you are consuming easily digestible, whole, fresh foods to meet your daily nutrient requirements and to assist your organs with the elimination of toxins
- Include detoxification-boosting supplements as part of your detox plan
- You can find high quality, Naturopath Approved nutritional support products on our website, that have been specifically created to support your physiological processes – including detoxification.
A vegan protein and detox recovery superfood. Containing all essential amino acids and using Supersorb technology that ensures your body absorbs and utilises every ingredient.
The benefits of incorporating this protein into your daily routine:
- helps detoxification by assisting the digestion system,
- balances your mood,
- Increases resistance to stress,
- lowers serum cortisol levels, and
- aids in the recovery and regeneration of internal tissues and muscle mass.
A unique formula of 21 ingredients designed to support women’s health holistically. FEM21 helps with liver and digestive cleansing, keeping everything running efficiently, from the elimination of toxins, to the absorption of nutrients.
An alkalising mineral formula. As we age or consume an acid-forming diet, our body’s ability to cope with excessive acidity may diminish. This can contribute towards chronic health issues, such as bone loss, detoxification problems and fatigue.
Mineral citrates provide long lasting pH balance and do not disturb normal digestive processes, supports your detoxification and liver health, but also, increases energy production.
Taking these products may support your detoxification process and improve your quality of life by:
- Increasing energy – when you are cleansed you have more energy, and without toxin overload, your body can process foods better.
- Balancing your weight – a healthy detox done right can help excess weight to fall off. Plus the increased consumption of fresh fruit, vegetables, vitamins, and minerals make it easier to keep the weight off!
- Helping to combat chronic disease – by reducing inflammation, many chronic disease states are positively affected.
- Improving your skin and hair – how healthy your skin and hair look are good indications of your internal health, so having a good internal ‘spring clean’ can result in clearer skin (& eyes), shiny and strong hair (& nails!).
- Slow down ageing – by slowing the rate of cellular decay.
- Boosting your immune system – the increased vitamins and minerals taken during a detox can help to boost your immune response and cleanse the lymphatic system.d
- Cleanse the digestive tract – waste can build up in your digestive tract, leading to slower digestion, constipation and a ‘foggy’ head. The detoxification process can help to “sweep” the digestive tract and therefore improve digestion and elimination.
Removing toxins from your body is one of the most important things you can do for maintaining optimal health and energy levels. Supporting the elimination organs, namely the liver but also the kidneys, lungs, skin and GI tract, through good nutrition and correct supplementation can help to boost your body’s natural detoxification process.
A detox is a great way to reboot your system, revitalise your body, and move forward feeling renewed.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding incorporating our products while detoxing, please call 07 4946 7910 to speak with one of our knowledgable operators. Alternatively, consult your doctor