What is Mum 2-B?
All mothers want to ensure that they and their growing baby are getting the nutrients required throughout all stages of preconception, pregnancy and breastfeeding. Mum-2-B™ is a formula designed to support the healthy development of the unborn baby while providing the necessary nutrients to the mother, supporting a healthy pregnancy. Mum-2-B™ is developed by pharmacists, naturopaths and other health care professionals to provide essential nutrients required in this transitional stage of your life.
How does Mum 2-B work?
With many physiological changes occurring during pregnancy and breastfeeding, the nutrient requirements for women increase in order to grow and nourish a healthy baby. Evidence suggests that by building up the right level of nutrients in the body, both the mother and baby will positively benefit resulting in an increase of larger, healthier babies with fewer complications during pregnancy and birth.
What’s in it?
- Fish oil with high DHA is important to optimise brain and retinal development in the unborn child, which may lead to improved cognitive development. DHA plays an important role in the development of synaptic processing of neural cell interaction and growth.
- Iron, as the requirement of a woman more than doubles during pregnancy. This is due to increased red blood cell formation and foetal growth. Iron is also important to combat fatigue.
- Copper, to assist the body in absorbing iron and is required for the production of haemoglobin.
- Folate, as it is essential for cells to grow, reproduce and divide. During pregnancy, the foetus is constantly growing and developing. An adequate supply of folate greatly reduces the risk of serious birth defects such as spina bifida. Folate does not stay in the body for long, therefore it is important to supplement daily.
- Manganese and Zinc are important minerals during rapid growth and play a vital role for growth, development and enzymatic reactions.
- Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6 & B12. These vitamins are essential to assist in energy and stamina. B vitamins help break down carbohydrates, protein, amino acids and lipids into energy. They are also important in hormone production, iron metabolism and maintaining the health and stress management capabilities of the nervous system.
- Vitamin D, to increase the absorption of calcium into the bones, ensuring a strong and healthy skeletal system for the foetus.
- Calcium and Magnesium are essential minerals, important not only for bone and teeth strength of the baby, but also for regulation of heart rate and muscle contraction. Calcium is also important to prevent osteoporosis later in life.
- Phosphorus is the second most abundant mineral in the body after calcium, and is very important for bones and teeth. It is a structural component of phospholipids which are found in every cell of the body.
- Iodine, essential for the synthesis of thyroid hormones which are crucial for foetal development, especially for the brain and nervous system. It is also essential for the development and growth of red blood cells, bones, hair, skin and nails.